February 3, 2008

Hey sports fans!

It is Superbowl Sunday.

I consider myself an occasional football fan. Usually, if my team isn't playing, I struggle to care about who is winning/losing/bleeding/going to jail on any given Sunday. Now, (I know that what I'm about to type is stereotypical and quite sexist, but whatever) I think this, in part, has to do with the fact that I am not a guy, but even so, I feel a little guilty about it. Granted not as guilty as I would feel if I didn't vote or shower or go to class as those things actually matter, but still on some level it feels like an injustice. A very small gnat sized injustice buzzing in my ear. Only on Sundays.

This being said, today is not one of those Sundays because I really, really want the Giants to win.

I don't particularly like the Giants. In fact, I'm still a little bitter that they beat the Vikings in 2000 41-0 to rob them of their own shot at the Superbowl. I don't really care about their record or the fact that they beat the Packers, and I'm not automatically a fan of Eli because I like Peyton. No, I just really want to see Michael Strahan make Tom Brady cry.

I realize that many people want to see the Patriots win because it would be historic, and amazing and the completion of a perfect season, but where's the fun in that? I think it would be just as historic and even more amazing if a team that everyone was saying would lose and lose big, with a relatively inexperienced quarterback and a defensive end with a HUGE gap in his teeth went out and completely blew away the "best team" in the league in the biggest game of the year.

So with that, I'm going to go put my game face on, root for the underdog, and prepare for the most amazing 28-24 upset turned grudge-match ever to be on national television.

GO GIANTS!!

No comments: