September 15, 2007

Hello, world.

Today I explored. I explored the world. Well, ok, I explored a very small part of my world. Approximately 3 square blocks actually. I went to this coffee shop that I go by everyday, and each one of those days have thought that it would be an interesting place to go. There was nothing really that brave about going there, I just never had before, but it felt so nice, so different to just go by myself to read a book (granted, not the book I might choose exactly - it was for a class). It wasn't a necessarily novel thing to do, but I guess up until this point in my life, I've always felt that I have needed an explanation for going somewhere by myself to sit and drink coffee in a new (to me, at least) place. Over the summer I would think that I'd want to go and get something to eat at this new deli sort of place downtown but I always felt that I needed justification. I felt like it wasn't enough that I just wanted to go, I needed to have an errand to run near there like going to the bank or post office and then decide, oh, well since I'm so close I should stop for a sandwich, use up the rest of the time on the meter. Today I just went. I read a chapter (a whole 36 hours before my class that I need to have it read for! How prepared I am!) wrote a postcard, just sat, not needing to go to the post office or bank.
It was wonderful. If everyday were like today it would be even more wonderful. Except, probably, I would have a caffeine habit, no money and probably wouldn't be enrolled in school. Hmm. Well, if every Saturday were like this, yes that would be great. Maybe this will become a ritual, like I don't know, Christmas or brushing your teeth. That doesn't really make sense though, because I do (yes, it is true) brush my teeth more than once a week and Christmas....bad examples, never mind.
It was good. A good day.

1 comment:

doshtate said...

Don't be knocking a caffeine habit. Its better than, say, punch temps in the face daily. :-)