April 29, 2008

Bend and Snap

I'm a little behind in posting the latest DWTS blog - forgive me internet. It's Guitar Hero's fault I swear!!

Last night's episode was a lesson in judge hypocrisy, and while not as ridiculous as the Jason Taylor blow out that I will probably never stop talking about, it was pretty stupid.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by last night's performances. I think they were all a little shocked with the whole 2 dances in one week and the judges over scored people, which I think is pretty stupid. They were also shying away from the criticism.

Marissa & Tony -
I think Marissa has just about run her course. She's peppy and squeaky and not a natural dancer, which I guess is the point of this whole shebang, but I'd say she's done next week. Unless....

Christian & Cheryl -
Poor Christian. I thought he did pretty well in his first dance, but his second dance spelled disaster. Literally. Midway through he hurt his muscle near his elbow, tried to finish the dance, kinda did a crappy job and sort of flopped on top of Cheryl at the end. The judges said they would judge his performance only before his injury - which I thought was fine, maybe a 25? - no. A FREAKING 21. What?!
He went to the hospital but is still in the competition. His doctor apparently told him that he would postpone surgery so that he could stay in the competition. Now, I get that it's television and all, but would a doctor really do that? Is it just California doctors that say to hell with your organs, go dance your heart out! I don't know that I buy it. Not to mention the fact that I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for him to dance with one arm. I mean, he's strong, but still.

Kristi & Mark -
It seems the judges forgot how to score people until Kristi and Mark. I don't really see how they can inflate everyone else's scores, not criticize them and then give Kristi a 26 for a dance as good, if not better, than Marissa. I don't understand. Their second dance was good but the judges disagreed (CA & Bruno vs. Len...of course) on whether or not it was too new/hip/fresh/unboring. Tom, bless him, waxed over the whole incident (yelling match) referring to the 3 stooges as "2 hip judges and 1 cranky pants in the middle." Yeah, I'd say that's about right.

Mario & Karina -
Len told him he wasn't very elegant. Duh.
Also, Karina won the barely dressed award of the night (beating Cheryl somehow) and during their second dance my roommate and I turned to each other at the exact same moment and said "does she have a tramp stamp?!" No joke.
And yes, she does.

Shannon & Derek -
Len (I think) said her tango was the best dance of hers yet. I think he's said that before to her and I agreed then, but not so much now. It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't that good. She never really gets into the character and she looked constipated and mildly annoyed during her tango. The second dance was forgettable.

Jason & Edyta -
I still just don't really like Jason. His quickstep (or foxtrot? I really should take notes...) was good, but I didn't think it deserved a 29. Then he did a paso doble to the Monday Night Football theme. I kid you not. While it was sort of funny, but mainly just corny, it was waaaay to much for me. I liked Christian's paso doble better. I think he got into character more than Jason did last night.

Best quote of the night goes to... Len (big surprise)
He said (to Bruno), "I think your hot air has a lot to do with the global warming."

Did I mention I was underwhelmed? Yeah, not the best, but certainly not nearly as bad as whatever Bruno said that was bleeped out during the sex dance last week.


In the end, Def Leopard rocked out, (really. they did. I swear) Samantha was an idiot, there was more bicep drama and Shannon went home. I wasn't that surprised or disappointed, but certainly America is. After all, she and Derek never really answered the are you or aren't you question and because we will no longer see Derek wear that stupid hat sideways anymore.
Oh well. I guess there's always next year.

1 comment:

doshtate said...

I only watched the ballroom portion of the evening, but my favorite quote of the night was from Kristi's interview -- something to the effect of "...the competition is getting tough now - I can feel Marissa, Mario, Christian, and Jason breathing down my neck..."

but not Shannon, since she is clearly not competition. hahaha