April 27, 2008

Things Written Down

I usually carry a small notebook with me, and I write things down that people say - strange expressions, interestingly phrased statements, whatever. I think they make an interesting poem all together, so here they are.

use simple words to explain complex things*
so many things
black holes of silence
bolts in the hubcaps of cars
her life was not a rose garden
flutes in the evening
I think everything is serendipity
waiting for glasses for 2 years
A person is a person through other persons
90% of war casualties are civilians - mainly women and children
la vida plena
we don't have a democracy, we have an auction
passing the something

And now, a quick story:

This weekend I was at my aunt's house in Brainerd. We had a good time, (except for the fact that it SNOWED) had a good dinner, watched some movies, and today went to church. Afterward, while waiting to meet my ride back to the cities, I said hello to the pastor. She remembered my Mom's name and asked if I was her daughter. I said yes and she responded with "Oh yes, you look so much like her. Especially in the eyes, right?"
Let me say now that while I do look a little like my mom, I have always thought that I looked more like my dad, especially in my eyes. We both have blue. My mom has brown. Not really the same. At all.

Did I say this? No. I said yes.

Why? Because it doesn't really matter? Because I only see this person 3 times a year? Did I not want her to feel stupid that she's wrong? Maybe I'm the one that's wrong and my mother's and my eyes look similar. But I feel stupid that I didn't say something (I don't even know what!) about how I looked like my dad more. Is this a Catch-22 or am I just being weird?

Probably the latter.



*Originally said in Swedish.

No comments: